Big Drop Brewing Co. is dedicated exclusively to making the finest 0.5% ABV beer.
Big Drop was launched in October 2016 by the-then City lawyer Rob Fink, along with his school-friend/band-mate, designer and kindred spirit, James Kindred.
The idea for a brewing business that only made alcohol-free beer was conceived by their own lifestyle changes (eg fatherhood) and born out of the frustration of there being no decent tasting low alcohol craft beer available to quench their thirst.
Along with renowned experimental brewer, Johnny Clayton (formerly of Wild Beer), they’ve perfected techniques to make alcohol-free craft beer without the need for artificial removal of alcohol. The result doesn’t compromise on taste and yet is no more than 0.5% ABV.
Big Drop doesn’t just use barley. It uses barley, rye, wheat and oats. And it doesn’t use just one type of each. Across its beers, it uses over 20 speciality grains. And then it uses lactose which boosts the mouthfeel and avoids the watery texture that blights many alcohol-free beers. Its range of seven beers, which it contract brews in batches through a panel of expert brewing partners, includes: Stout, Lager, Pale Ale, Citrus IPA, Brown Ale, Winter Ale and a Sour.
World Beer Awards 2019
- The Brown Ale won World’s Best in the Dark Beer Low Strength category.
- The Citra won UK Bronze for full-strength Session IPA.
- The Pale Ale won UK Bronze for Pale Beer Low Strength.
International Beer Challenge 2019
- The Brown Ale won Silver in the Lo/No category.
- The Stout won Bronze in the No/Lo category.
US Open Beer Championship 2019
- The Stout won Gold in the Non-alcoholic Stout category
- The Citra won Silver in the Non-alcoholic IPA category.
The International Brewing and Cider Awards 2019
- The Citra won the overall Champion’s trophy for the No and Low Alcohol Beer category.
- The Stout won Silver in the No and Low Alcohol category.
Casual Dining Show 2019
- The Citra was crowned ‘King of Craft’ at the show, which was dominated by full-strength beers.
BBC Food & Farming Awards 2018
- Big Drop was named one of three ‘Best Drinks Producers’.
World Beer Awards 2017
- The Pale Ale was named World’s Best Pale Beer (low strength)
- The Stout won UK Silver for flavoured Stout when judged against full-strength stouts and porters
International Beer Challenge 2017
- The Stout won a Gold Medal
The Society of Independent Brewers
- Big Drop Brewing received the Best Business Innovation award